To get started on part of my New Year resolution list, save a little money during the week and to just plain have fun–I’ve instigated a Â Game N’ Lunch hour at work. Â We all gather in the commons and pull a game out to play while we have lunch. Â The guys have been pretty diligent in bringing their lunches in–so it’s been pretty successful.
Games we’re playing:
- Munchkin – Conan Edition. Â This is a Conan themed version of the famous Steve Jackson game. Â It’s super fun fast paced action. Â It can be either cooperative or conniving–or both.
- Star Trek Uno – This has been played several times. Â It’s Uno with 4 additional cards. Â The best new card is “Double Tribble.” Â If played against you during game play, you must double your hand. Â In Uno that means you could end up with 40+ cards! Â If you’re lucky you’ll be able to play the “Beam Me Up, Scotty” card to counter attack–or you may end up needing a friend help you hold all of those Uno cards you’ve acquired.
- Carcassonne – Â “You fell victim to one of the classic blunders – The most famous of which is “never get involved in a land war in Asia!” Â This tile based game is about the building, growing and occupation of land and castles. Â It’s a little complicated at first but it’s fast paced once you all know the rules.
- Monopoly the Card Game – a faced paced card game version of the board game classic.
- Saboteur – The miners need to find the gold–but will the saboteurs stop them before they reach they’re treasure? Â A super fun, witty tile-based card game that will keep all players guessing, “Who’s on my side?”
- Chez Geek – A card game that makes you allÂ roommatesÂ for as long as it takes you to kick someone out of the apartment.
- Zombie Fluxx -Â Â The Zombies arrive in the form of a new type of card, called the Creeper, which hangs around in front of you, preventing you from winning.Â The good news is, the Keepers include a Shotgun and a Chainsaw and various other things you can use as weapons against the Zombies.
- Forbidden IslandÂ – Chosen by Mensa in 2010 as Favorite Brainy Games Winner. Â You’re on a team of Â adventurers with varying skills on a Â mission to capture four sacred treasures from a sinking island. Â Get your whole team off the island before they drown!
So it’s been really fun but I haven’t won a single game yet.Â Â In addition to the Game N’ Lunch we’ve also taken to walking at least 15 minutes once during each of our 8+ hour days. Â Let me know if you’ve got a suggestion for a quick game that we can try at lunch.